Okay, I don’t know about you, but I really hate cooking and I am always on the hunt for easy, healthy snack ideas, especially for my kids. It’s a real struggle and I envy people who love cooking and preparing and making homemade fruit snacks. That’s just not me. I tell myself it wouldn’t be so bad if we had a bright, open kitchen where I didn’t feel so secluded and my kiddos would be able to see me and (fingers crossed) wouldn’t feel the need to be under my feet while in the kitchen. However, that is not the case and every day is a struggle. Plus, I’m lazy and don’t like things to take too long. Especially because, although I know better, I hardly ever prepare (you know, meal planning) ahead of time. Ugh. Meal planning, especially meal planning with kids… it does make life easier when I take the time… its just… one of those things.
So around here, we really like easy snacks. And I like them to be healthy so that on days where all we eat are snacks, we are at least not eating garbage.
My Top 10 Easy, Healthy Snacks (in no particular order)
- Apples! – Whole or apple slices with peanut butter. We go through SO MANY APPLES! It’s ridiculous. I have to constantly remind myself that there are much worse things my kids could
binge eat. We probably go through 20 or more easily in a week between the 4 of us.
- Avocados! – My Kids and I love avocados! We just cut them in half and eat them out of the skin with a spoon. Sometimes I add a little sea salt to mine. Super healthy and I do limit them to 1 per day… yes, my kids are eating machines.
- Cucumbers! – Slice them up and serve them! No need for dips or dressing, they are delicious all on their own. When my boys were smaller I would peel them otherwise they would spit cucumber peels all over the house and that’s gross. But the skin in good for you and I like the extra crunch.
- Bananas! – Easy peezy. Just peel and go. Or jazz it up with some peanut butter and get some extra protein.
- Celery! – I like to add peanut butter almost always to my celery because I don’t particularly like it plain, although I will eat it plain sometimes. If you like raisins, you can do ants on a log, OR swap out raisins for chocolate chips for a little extra indulgence.
- Bell Peppers! – Another staple in our home. Just slice them up and you have a crunchy delicious snack. Personally I like the red, yellow, and orange peppers best (they are sweet and juicy),
I’m not a fan of the green bell peppers.
- Popcorn! – Fun and easy! We eat popcorn almost on a daily basis. Not microwave popcorn either (that stuff gives you cancer), we have a Stir Crazy popcorn popper and we LOVE it! The kids go nuts when it starts popping and love helping measure out the coconut oil and popcorn seeds. Sprinkle sea salt on top and you’re good to go. You can make as little or as much as you want.
- Grapes! – When there are nice crunchy grapes in stock, we love having grapes and my kids will eat a whole bag in a day so we have to monitor that.
- Strawberries! – We actually buy strawberries less often because they can be pricey and while they are delicious and healthy, again, my kids will eat the whole case in a day if I let them… the struggle is real.
- Yogurt! – I know the healthiness of yogurt is debatable, but around here we love greek yogurt. It packs a nice punch of protein and it’s yummy and easy and the kiddos love it and try to eat it all in a day.
There you have it… a list of 10 easy, healthy, and kid friendly snacks.
For me, this list is important because we use to buy goldfish and animal crackers and fruit snacks, but that was literally all they (did I say they? I meant we) would eat and I wasn’t okay with that. We no longer buy them and I feel good knowing my snack happy kiddos are healthy… and so am I.
I hope this helps you in your adventure to health. Happy snacking!
What are some of your favorite easy and healthy snacks?